Monday, November 21, 2005

Campus After Midnight (For Non-Drinkers): Preface

To Whom It May Concern,

As may be apparent by now to anyone who has been reading my blog, I tend to keep odd hours. I've found in recent years that it is almost impossible for me to fall asleep before midnight; on nights with nothing scheduled the following morning I have been known to push 5:00 AM before falling asleep. My peers also tend to keep similar hours (at least on weekends), and get-togethers can still be going strong at 2:00 AM or later.

While most of this time is spent staying in, there are times in every get-together when hunger manifests, and it is at these times that we briefly venture out into the night. This is often the one point in our gatherings that time really has an impact on the night's proceedings, as our options are determined by the hour. Here, too, is where we find the only real indications of the lateness of the hour, as the distribution of people on campus changes radically from day to night.

These thoughts led to my decision to post an essay on what one faces in the Ohio State University (OSU) campus area after midnight: What one's options are for food, entertainment, and transportation, as well as a look into the general campus landscape. As drinking establishments traditionally recieve the most attention in overviews such as these, and as I myself am a non-drinker, such establishments have been omitted from this review; those who seek such information have other options available to them. Within the course of this essay I will be using audio posts for brief interviews with others; these will focus on their impressions of campus after the chime hour. At other times I will be engaging in point-counterpoint sessions where I weigh the merits of certain options available. Text of a light gray color will also be used to indicate the use of title tags; hover your cursor over the text to see these. The title tags will provide nonessential but convenient information, so as not to clutter the actual text. Hyperlinks will be used primarily to link the reader to mentioned businesses and services (where applicable); I shall try my best to ensure that following such links will not be essential to understanding the text.

Furthermore, I invite the reader to share any of their experiences with the area after midnight in the comment sections of the relevant topics. Just as welcomed are comments from those not from the OSU campus area, as such comments allow further comparison.

It should be noted that my research into this essay occured during the weekend of the OSU/UM football game and a few preceeding weeknights. The number of people out during the weekend was higher due to the game (as was the ratio of inebriated persons to sober ones), and my posts will reflect this.

On to Part 1.

EDIT 12/8/2005: There are also now a few addenda to this essay here and here, for those of you who enjoy karaoke.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home