Monday, November 07, 2005

Read AFTER Your Coffee

So I tried canned Kona coffee this morning. It's been sitting in the fridge since I got it from Seafood Japan about a week ago, and this morning I was finally tired enough to try it. Well, okay, I'm always that tired at ^9:00 AM, but I'm running low on Black Black (and starting to tire a little of the taste). I'm not that much of a coffee guy (I preffer to feed my caffiene addiction through carbonated beverages), and I wasn't sure how it would taste cold, but it wasn't that bad. I'll tell you, though, I always feel it after I drink coffee. I don't know if this is what's supposed to happen or not, I don't really talk to people about coffee drinking, but I always feel, I don't know, saturated after a cup or can. Right now I'm feeling the coffee behind my eyeballs, if that makes sense. It's certainly keeping me awake, but I have to wonder, is this how regular coffee drinkers feel all the time?

While I was drinking this coffee, my roommate struck up a conversation about how Kona coffee was until recently thought to be the most expensive brand of coffee in the world (no, I don't know by whom; the secret Coffee Cabal, I guess). This title was trumped, however, by Kope Luwak, an Indonesian coffee. The process by which Kope Luwak is made --- and I'm not making this up --- is by collecting coffee beans that have passed through a palm civet's digestive system. Apparently the process de-husks the beans just right, and the civet just happens to preffer the best beans for coffee-making.

It figures that the most expensive coffee in the world requires some rigamarole in it's production, and that that rigamarole would contribute at best questionably to the quality of the final result.* Perhaps a more expensive coffee could be made that requires the beans to pass through the the U.S. Postal System from one end of the continent to the other and back again. Or maybe one where the grounds are pre-roasted in someone's cigarette.

...Oh, damn. Coffee cigarettes. You could, like, take over the world with something that addictive.

Hmmmm....

At any rate, my roommate was questioning whether it was really necessary for the beans to pass through a palm civet for them to be de-husked. What I want to know is, does it have to be a palm civet? Can I get that job? Because it seems like decently cushy employment. I mean, sure, it might be moderately painful at first, but, hell, the pay ought to be good enough: It's the most expensive coffee in the world. Even at something as low as eight bucks an hour, that's eight bucks an hour for eating coffee beans and sitting on the can. I'm almost positive that beats working retail.



*I originally wrote "end product," but this post was getting bad enough already.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lewis said...

Yeah, that wasn't fair -- turning a post about coffee into a potty joke. I mean, I'm sitting here with a cup of home-ground, home-brewed macchiato that I am counting on to keep me alert through a long night of work, and I have to read about Kope Luwak! If you hadn't provided that link, I would have been sure you were making this up! Yuk!

7:41 PM  
Blogger Mithrandalf said...

Hey, I left the warning in the title...

10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home