Saturday, November 12, 2005

Spontaneous Dinner Party Generation


So last night me and my roommate hosted some kind of spur-of-the-moment dinner party at the apartment. It's kind of odd how it happened, we'd just come back from getting groceries and she had decided to finally do something with the whole chicken we'd gotten last week (we still had plenty of "meal" food when we got groceries, but almost no "snack" or "goes with a meal" food). Earlier this week I'd made the kind of pasta salad I'm used to, and last night she also decided to make her version of pasta salad to go with the chicken. I don't believe I've mentioned before how my roommate considers cooking a hobby. Well, she does, and it shows at times like these.

Even so, this is all still just dinner at this point. The part where it becomes a dinner party is where I'm on the phone with one of the people from my RPG group. He had invited me to join him as he ran errands and went joyriding in general, and I was in the process of declining because dinner was really starting to sound like something I wanted to stick around for. It is at this point that my roommate tells me to invite my friend over for the dinner. I can't recall whether this was before or after she had called one of her friends and invited them over, but either way, a three-way conversation ensued that resulted in the formation of a dinner party, and the addition of cheesy mashed potatoes to the menu. This morphed after the conversation into cheesy mashed potatoes with Japanese bread crumbs on top, while the pasta salad gained chunks of bacon, two kinds of olives, and two kinds of cheese.

Even with a total of four people eating, there was still a ton of food by the time all the cooking was done...not that anyone was exactly complaining, and not that there was anything left afterwards. The potatoes are just gone, and the last of the pasta salad was passed off to someone else at the RPG session last night. What remains of the chicken is currently soaking in the 'fridge to make broth that will later be used as the basis for soup, a transformative process which really doesn't even seem like leftovers.

My roommate has gone on what one could characterize as "cooking binges" like this before, but this was the largest of them I've seen (and one of the tastier, incidentally). It really makes me wonder what her house is like come Thanksgiving.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lucky. My roommate never makes enough dinner for more than one person - and if she does, that other person certainly isn't me.

12:28 PM  
Blogger JC said...

There are some folks out there who enjoy cooking for cooking sake.... I am one of those folks. It is one of those hobbies I rarely get a chance to practice due to life constraints. *sigh*

8:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home