Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Not-So-Absolutely Ridiculous

Posting Location: Bus stop at Stillman Hall.
Revised At: University Village

this is an audio post - click to play

I swear, I'll stop this kind of thing soon. Maybe. Chalk it up to general hyperness due to the quarter almost being over. It's been a somewhat tough one, first quarter I've taken more than three courses since Fall Quarter my freshman year. Okay, so the one class is a 100-level course and the other one is about blogging. It's still included my first 500-level courses, so I think I'm entitled to at least a teeny slice of the pity pie.

I am, however, seriously concerned over what I mentioned in my audiopost right before my vicous attack. Are you not allowed to admit women can be feminine if you're a feminist? If a woman cries, does it make her any less "strong?" Does the same hold true for men? I know that in my adult life I've never seriously considered crying as a sign of weakness; are female characters that cry automatically chauvinistic portrayals?

Personally, I've always felt feminism was more about equalizing both genders than it was denying or disowning traits traditionally associated with one gender in favor of the another. I'm just unclear on how women embracing masculine traits to the detriment of feminine ones breaks the stereotype of masculine traits being superior.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home