Monday, September 26, 2005

So I finally have Internet again

...after having waited about a week for the wireless card to get here. The quarter I have the most classes with online content right out the door is the one where I don't have immediate web access. Figures.

So it would seem I have some catching up to do.

Eeesh, where to start? Lot has happened this past week. It's the first week in the apartment, for instance, which has just been one continual learning experience. Sorry, frustration, that's what I meant to say. It's all fun and games until you find yourself with fifteen minutes to get to campus and absolutely no clue how to get there. It's a big help that the University Village busses don't seem to run on the weekend, when I do the most running around. It's an even bigger help that none of the busses that go out there run past 10:30 on the weekends, after which is when I'm most in need of transport. -_- I managed to convince my parents to send down the Corsica, but they've assured me that it's "only temporary." Arg.

Food, particularly it's aquisition, has also taken on some interesting characteristics. It's really amazing how creative you can get when you're simultaneously shopping with an eye for both cheap food and selective diets. There are now no less than eleven Hamburger Helpers of various sorts in our cupboards, and the closest thing we have to actual hamburger are the three packets of ground turkey in the fridge. Contrast this, and the frozen dinners in the freezer, with the construction last night of one of the best smelling examples of sweet potato pie I've ever encountered. Dear God in Heaven. Apparently cooking is a hobby of one of my roommates, which is good because my cooking skills are limited to frying up meat for tacos. Tacos which are also on the menu for this month. Turkey tacos. I can actually feel my taste buds going insane just from contemplating the disparity of all this.

I went to OSU-Con on Monday (known to most other people as the Ohio State University Student Involvement Fair), got my usual bag full o' swag from it. I will state here and now that despite accusations to the contrary the free candy that made up the entire bottom layer of junk in the bag was mostly aquired from booths that I displayed a genuine interest in. In fact, let's just make that a blanket statement that everything in that bag was aquired through legitimate means. I don't care what you saw going on at that one booth. I even managed to get a few free books on Buddhism whilst I was there. Not little pamphlets, either, I'm talking full-sized books with real covers and everything. In retrospect they may have been expecting people to only take one and leave (I took one of each out of three), but then hindsight is 20/20, and these are books I have a legitimate interest in.

On a somewhat related note, though, I signed on to way to many mailing lists this year. My school mail account is going to be a mess by the end of the quarter. It's also a real shame that so many of these organizations that hold my interest made the mistake of holding their meetings on Wednesday evenings. Don't these heathens know that's when Lost comes on?

Speaking of Lost and the circumstances in which I watch it, I've finally been seeing my boyfriend again after being separated by over half a state for the better(?) part of two months. Stupid 132 miles. I could kick those miles in the teeth right now. Of course, it doesn't help that he lives just off the campus I'm having such an easy time getting to at the moment. -_-

Can't really think of any other trials and ordeals at the moment, although they're bound to occur to me later. One issue that immediately comes to mind at this point in time: how the heck is one supposed to end a long introductory blog post like this?

...hmmm. I guess that works, actually

1 Comments:

Blogger Lewis said...

My son just moved into his first post-college apartment, so I read your account of settling into a new place with renewed appreciation (and recollection) of the challenges. When my wife and I moved into our first apartment, one of our first discoveries was the giant hornet nest in the wall of the hallway just outside our door!

8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home